The Q&A Archives: Bridge Graft on Damaged Hemlock

Question: I have a weeping hemlock which lost a significant amount of bark on the section of trunk that bows (top part of the trunk). This happened over the past winter...sun scorch during a freeze? I want to patch the exposed trunk using a bridge graft. Can I attempt a graft in late fall or for this type of graft do I have to wait until late winter? At the very least I will wrap the trunk to cut down on temperature extremes, but I need a more permanent solution.

Answer: Ideally, the graft should have been made as soon as possible after the damage occured, but you may yet be able to heal your tree. Use vigorously growing twigs from the same tree to form the bridges, and secure the cambium tightly together to ensure as little movement as possible. Best of luck!