The Q&A Archives: Propagation of Fatsia

Question: How/when do I propagate a fatsia? Can I "demolish" a fatsia and create several?

Answer: You can propagate your fatsia from air layering, stem cuttings and root cuttings, but don't try to divide the crown of the plant. I prefer air layering myself, because it's low maintenance, you don't have to "demolish" the plant, and just because it's a neat phenomenon!

The best time for propagation is while the fatsia's in an active growth phase. Choose a part of the stem that is slightly green (rather than brown or totally green, and has a healthy leaf(ves) at the other end. Remove about one inch of bark all the way around the stem (girdle it). Place a ball of slightly damp sphagnum moss around the girdled section. Wrap the moss with a piece of black plastic and secure it on both ends with twist ties. Be sure to keep the moss damp - check every so often and dampen if necessary. In about 1-2 months roots will form under the plastic. Sever the stem just below the newly formed roots and pot up the "baby". Have fun!