The Q&A Archives: Some Tips for Planting Vegetables in a Small Garden

Answer: I am planning a small garden and have a few basic questions. Is it best to plant squash on mounds? Is 6 hours a day of direct light enough for tomatoes, squash, corn, beans, okra, etc.? What is the best time to sow seeds outdoors for watermelon in my area? Pumpkins? I know this is quite a bit to answer! Thanks for your help! I appreciate the advice!! Melinda Bartoszewicz Tallahassee, FL A.Squash is best planted in groups of 2-3 plants per group. You don't have to necessarily mound the soil sunless you have clay and it's hard to work. Six hours of sun a day should be fine for most vegetables. The corn and okra may like more though and may not produce as well. Watermelons like warm soil conditions. I'd say mid to eand of March would be okay to plant watermelons in Tallahassee. Pumpkins can go in around the same time. Check with the local Cooperative Extension Service for exact dates (487-3003).