The Q&A Archives: Wildflowers Suited to Sandy MA

Question: Our property is bordered on all sides by a stone wall. We have a strip of land that's about 3' x 50' between the stone wall and the road and we'd like to plant wildflowers in that space. I'm guessing that it's pretty sandy, so I was wondering ifyou could tell me what are the best kinds to plant and when is the best time to plant the seeds? Robbin Millbury, MA

Answer: You can buy one of these wildflower mixes that contain annuals and perennial wildflower seed to plant in your area or you can just pick out the annuals and perennial flowers you like. I'd suggest Shasta daisies, Rudbeckia, cosmos, coreopsis, Monarda, Echinacea, cornflowers and California poppies to grow. Of course, check out local garden centers and neighbor's gardens to get other ideas of what you like!