The Q&A Archives: When to Transplant Seedlings

Question: I have started about 8 flats (72 plants in each) of various seeds. This is my first year to do this. Do I have to transplant these into soil after they get leaves, or can they live in this seed starting mix until late April? (I'm in zone 5). I'm just trying to save a step, but I will do it if necessary. I'm committed now. Thanks! Melinda Boeh Independence, MO

Answer: Congratulations on becoming a seed starter! It's quite addictive. You should only use seed starting mix while your transplants are still in pots indoors. Once the height of the transplant is 3 times the diameter of the pot, then transplant into a pot one size larger. Keep going until you're ready to harden off your plants. Keep them well watered, fertilized lightly with a liquid fertilizer weekly and give them plenty of light under grow lights and they should be fine.