The Q&A Archives: Transplanting Raspberries

Question: I want to transplant raspberries bushes from my father's garden in Pennsylvania to my garden in New Jersey. How is the best way to do this, and when should I move the raspberry plants.

Answer: Fall or very early spring is a good time to do this. Prepare your planting bed ahead of time and water the plants well the day before you dig them. Cut the canes back right before you dig them -- it makes the digging easier. You can take entire crowns or plants, or you can dig the suckers. In either case, try to dig a nice mass of roots. Do not allow them to dry out, heat up or freeze during transport -- perhaps some barely damp newspaper wrapped around the roots and the wrapped root packet placed in a plastic bag and kept shaded and cool would work. Water them in well after planting and follow with a mulch for winter. Your transplants will take two years to bear well. Good luck!