The Q&A Archives: Herb Gardens

Question: I would like to plant an edible herb garden that would also be visually attractive. Books and information on available herbs and seed starter plants via Burpee?
I now have thyme, basil, sage, rosemary, bay leaf, and tarragon planted in pots, but would like to increase my varieties.

Answer: Burpee offers a wide selection of edible herb seeds and plants, although plants are shipped in the spring only. You may order a catalog at the website or by calling 1-800-888-1447 -- where you can also order or check availability.

Some additional edible yet ornamental herbs are chives, garlic chives, dill, fennel, and curly-leafed parsly. Oregano, French tarragon and mint can also be quite attractive. For most herbs mentioned, you will find numerous varieties, such as Pineapple sage and golden lemon thyme, purple leafed basil, bronze fennel, and so on.

For design ideas, you might try visiting gardens in your area or browsing some of the herb books at your local library. You will find that many traditional herb gardens designs are fairly symmetrical and use a visually strong pattern of paths or beds to add structure as well as ornaments such as benches and sun dials to add height and solidity. I think this basis for design has remained popular because the plants themselves tend toward the untidy side -- especially after harvesting. A strong design also helps hold the look together during winter when so many of the herbs are essentially invisible.

Enjoy your herbs!