The Q&A Archives: Glass pieces in garden

Question: Recently we moved into our home that rests on a hilly acre. The problem is that the residents who have lived here for the past 70 years have dumped all their glass on the property. It is all over, broken and dangerous. The hills are filled with trees and wildflowers that would be a shame to destroy. Do you have any ideas as to how we can get rid of the glass, there is too much soil to use a mess filter and their is too much glass to pick up by hand. In the past 2 months we have collected 7 large garbage bags of glass. Please help us any idea will be grateful. Tricia Sheridan Bolivar, PA

Answer: That's an odd story. I don't know what will remove the glass pieces in your yard short of digging and sifting the soil. Over time the glass will break down slowly and it shouldn't hurt any plant growth. Just be careful digging around in the soil. Sorry I couldn't help you further. Good luck with your garden. Charlie Nardozzi NGA Senior Horticulturist