The Q&A Archives: Wet Corner

Question: What kind of flowering plant can I put in the front of my house in a corner where two roof lines meet? In the winter the rain drains right down into this corner. It is so empty. The front of my house faces the south. This corner is shaded about 85% of the year. Would Star Jasmine do alright?

Answer: Your situation is a difficult one. There are few plants that will flower without some direct sunshine, and fewer still that will tolerate wet feet all winter. Have you considered attaching an extension to your drainspout and channeling the water out and away from the corner of the house? Additionally, you can build a planter box and fill it with a fast-draining soil mix rather than regular garden soil, then plant a shade tolerant vining plant like Lapageria rosea (Chilean Bellflower), Anemopaegma chamberlaynii (Yellow Trumpet Vine), or Stephanotis floribunda (Madagascar Jasmine).