The Q&A Archives: Saving Sunflower Seeds

Question: What do I need to do to save sunflower seeds that are maturing now to plant next year? These are annuals--which I would like to grow again next year, but cannot afford to buy enough seeds for a 1/2 acre garden.

Answer: Take the seed when it is dry but before it falls out by itself -- and be careful the birds don't steal it! Store the seed dry and at a constant temperature; many gardeners put seeds in an airtight container and store that in the refrigerator. You should be aware, however, that depending on the variety you grew this year your seeds may or may not produce similar plants next year since some of the hybrids do not come true from seed. Also, you might look into bulk seed purchasing to lower the cost of fresh seed. Good luck with your sunflowers!