The Q&A Archives: Winter Rye

Question: I have a pretty good stand of bermuda grass for the summer, but I like to see that beautiful green in the winter. What do you think of planting winter rye over the bermuda for the winter?

Answer: I have mixed feeling about overseeding with winter rye. The positive point is that you will have a beautiful, green lawn all winter. The negatives are that you will have to mow all winter, and in spring the rye will be a competitor with your bermuda turf as it tries to start growing again.
There will therefore be a period during that transition time when the lawn doesn't look so great.

If you decide to overseed with rye, use a mix of annual and perennial ryegrass. The annual will come on faster and look better sooner, while the perennial will end up making a better turf. Early October is a good time to overseed in your area.

Thanks for the question!