The Q&A Archives: Growing watermelons in limited space

Question: Thank you for your answer. I have some additional questions... I want to grow watermelons and cantaloupe vertically (Square foot gardening style) due to my smaller garden size. 1)Can you recommend types which would be better suited for this typeof growing? I realize that large watermelons would not be a good idea, but I can't find information about winning characteristics. 2) If the watermelon can't grow this way, how much space is required for a compact watermelon plant? (Jeffrey Alan Norris)

Answer: There are varieties of watermelons that are "compact" (i.e. less viney than others). These bush varieties such as 'Bush Sugar Baby' require only about 4 to 5 feet diameter for running space. You won't get the number of melons you normally would from larger varieties, so plant a few extra plants..