The Q&A Archives: Roses

Question: I recently moved to the Northeast, and would like to plant some roses. I am in a zone 5 or 6. When should I plant them? What kind of rose will be good for this zone?

Answer: Bare-root roses are generally available in late winter for planting in very early spring. Your best bet for success with roses is to choose the cold-hardy shrub types such as the Morden or Explorer series from Canada, or any of the rugosa roses. Plan to give winter protection to your new roses. Here are some suggestions: 'John Cabot' (red), 'Golden Wings' (yellow), 'Morden Amorette' (pink), or 'Applejack' (rose spotted with crimson). Prepare your rose bed prior to planting by amending with organic matter to help keep the soil well-draining, and be sure to find the sunniest location available for your rose bushes. Sunshine and well-draining soil will help keep your plants vigorous and less susceptible to insects and diseases.