The Q&A Archives: Fall Vegetable Gardening

Question: Could you please tell me what vegetables that I could grow in the fall up until winter. I've only had summer vegetable gardens in the past. I'm not sure what vegetables to grow or exactly the manner to take care of them since it will be cooler.

Answer: As long as the weather remains above freezing, you can grow a variety of leafy and/or root crops in your garden. Most fall-gardens are seeded in late summer (August in your area), but you'll still have good results if you plant seeds of radish, lettuce, carrots and cabbage. Most cole crops (cabbage family) will take some frost without harm. Tender-leaved plants like lettuce and spinach will be damaged by cold weather, so plant them first so they'll have an opportunity to mature. They should be ready to harvest in six weeks. There are several advantages to fall gardening--natural rainfall usually provides enough moisture for your plants (supplement if rainfall is low), and weeds don't grow as vigorously in the fall and winter as they do in the spring and summer. Sometimes local nurseries sell transplants of fall-growing veggies. Pick up a few and get your garden started! Next year plan to sow seeds in late summer for fall and winter harvest.