The Q&A Archives: When to Transplant Delphinium Seeds

Question: I started Steichen Strain delphiniums from seed indoors, and transplanted about 6 seedlings to a bed in May. Only two are still alive. I would like to move these 2 to another location for the winter, possibly a permanent location. I started the last 8 seeds I had left in a flat indoors and would like to move them outdoors in hopes thay will come back next Spring. When would be the best time to do the transplanting? I have already read your responses on Delphiniums and believe I have all the information I need on requirements, but still don't know if I shoud transplant now, at the beginning of Fall, or at the end of Fall. The two survivors did bloom, by the way - very pretty!

Answer: Go ahead and transplant them now, while there's a little time left for them to get ready for winter - what a thought! I'm not sure why your others may have perished, but the good news is that they often self-sow - you may have more plants next spring than you expect. Enjoy!