The Q&A Archives: Morning Glory Won't Bloom.

Question: I bought "Heavenly Blue" morning glories from Burpee for 1998. The vine is healthy and the leaves are big and beautiful...but NO BLOOMS. I have been waiting all summer for the lovely display I should have...only to be disappointed with NOTHING. What can I do? Why are there no flowers?

Answer: In my Pennsylvania garden the blooms don't really start in earnest until mid summer. These vines love sun and heat and do not need a terribly rich soil; overly rich soil promotes leaves and vine rather than blooms. At the same time, they do best with adequate moisture, so what I have found works best is to plant them in all day full sun in decent soil in a very warm, sunny and protected spot so that they get an early start. Then I keep an eye on the water. They always bloom until frost -- but only in the morning! They bloom until about noon or somewhat later on a cloudy day, so be sure you are looking for the blooms during those hours. Good luck with your morning glories!