The Q&A Archives: Overwintering Mandevilla

Question: This past summer I grew a beautiful Mandevilla in a 12" pot and trellised it. It did wonderfully. When I brought it indoors this fall, it was still in bloom. I have it in a southern window. Now it looks terrible. All the leaves dropped, but one "vine" isstill thriving. There is a new shoot coming from the base of the plant and I have been told that I should cut it back. What should I do? I'd hate to lose this plant... Dawn Rose Warwick, RI

Answer: Cut it Back! Madevillas in your climate will put on lots of growth in summer, but won't be able to support the growth come fall unless you give it supplemental light. Cutting it back helps the plant make it through winter easier. Also, cut back on watering, but mist the plants every few days. I hope you can save this one! Good luck with your garden..