The Q&A Archives: Flower Border

Question: I have a flower bed about 30' long in front of my house that is currently bordered with landscape timbers. I'd
like to use flowering plants that wouldn't hide the plants behind. Hopefully something that would grow together to
help hold back the grass. I've seen a moss type plant but would like something with more color.

Answer: Some colorful, yet low-growing perennial groundcovers suitable for partially sunny sites include Lysmachia, Phlox, Cymbalaria (Kenilworth Ivy), Oenothera (Evening Primrose), Lamium, Viola, and Bluebell Creeper. If the site is in full sunshine, try Thyme, Rosemary, Corydalis or Catmint. There are several plants with insignificant flowers that might also suit your purpose: Houttuynia 'variegata', Pachysandra and Bishop's Weed, are all alternatives to moss-type plants.