The Q&A Archives: Blue Black Berries in Fall -- Pokeweed

Question: What kind of berries are these? The bush is red stemmed and the berries grow like an ear of corn, with green berries that turn blue-black, and are now getting ripe. Show what berry bush looks like with fruit on it, I have bushes that are red stemed with green berries that turn blue black, and they grow like an ear of corn or grapes on a corn cob, a color photo with each item would make it easy to know.

Answer: I think you are describing pokeweed, Phytolacca americana (decandra), a fairly common large wild plant with berries which color in late summer to early fall. Here are some images of the plant in various stages of growth: . Unfortunately, I could not find a photo of the P.americana berries when ripe. Instead, here is a photo of the ripe berries on it's cousin Phytolacca sandwicensis, -- they look very similar. Please be aware that the plants are considered poisonous.

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"