The Q&A Archives: Canna Seeds

Question: My red cannas have formed pods and large brown seeds. I would like to try planting them next spring. As I live in zone 5, I'll be growing them in the basement under grow lights. When would be an appropriate time to start them? I'm assuming they will take quite a while to grow large enough to bloom. They seem very hard. Do you think it would work?

Answer: I would suggest you start them now to get plants ready for next spring planting.

Chip the seed coat to break it so moisture can readily enter the seed. This may be done several ways. Many gardeners use a file, pruning snips or sandpaper to break the coat. Next soak seeds for 48 hours in warm water, changing the water after 24 hours. Then plant 1/4 inch deep in a peaty mix and keep warm and moist until they germinate (which may take a month or more).

Have fun with your canna project!