The Q&A Archives: grape vines

Question: Can you start grape vines from seeds by using store bought grapes? If not could you suggest ways to start growing them from a rooted vine? If you can start them from the seeds please explain how! Also when is the best time of the year to start growth?

Answer: I suppose you could try to plant a seed from grocery store grapes, but I wouldn't recommend it because the varieties we see in the store are not likely to be hardy in colder climates. Most gardeners purchase the (inexpensive) young vines for the particular type of grape they wish to grow. Since not all varieties of grapes do well in all areas of the country, it is important to check with your local County Extension to see which varieties are recommended for your local area. (Their telephone number is 472-7986.)

If you want to propagate your own and you have access to an established vine, layering is the easiest method for home gardeners. Dig a hole next to the parent vine and bend one of the canes so that it runs down into the hole and back up again in a "U" shape. Bruise the bottom side of the cane and then bury it so that the growing tip is sticking up out of the soil. Weight it down if needed to hold it steady. Eventually the tip will form new growth and the buried section will root. When well-rooted, separate it from the parent plant and transplant to its permanent location.

Good luck with your grapes!