The Q&A Archives: Flowers on Hostas

Question: I have a long edging of Hostas and just love them until the flower stalks start coming up. I want to know if it will hurt my plants to cut off the flower stalks before they blossom. I wouldn`t want to damage them in any way. Will they just keep sending up new shoots?

Answer: Hostas send out a flower stalk once each season, usually in late summer. The flowers are not especially attractive, and most gardeners simply cut back the stalk when it appears. Cutting off the flower stalk will not harm the plants, and only one stalk should be produced from the center of each hosta plant. You can expect your hostas to multiply from the roots and crowns, and eventually they'll form large clumps of plants. You can divide the clumps when they overgrow their garden spot.