The Q&A Archives: How to Store Seed Potatoes

Question: Each year I grow potatoes and store them in my root cellar, however after about 3 to 4 months they sprout... The cellar is dark, but the in the 50 to 60 degree area.. I supect that the higher temperature is the problem but would like to know if you agree.. 2. Is there a solution the potatos could be dipped in to eliminate the sprouting or another soultion to the problem..

Answer: To store potatoes properly: 1) brush off all soil 2) store spring or summer potatoes for 5-10 days in a dark, cool (60-70 degrees), and moist (humidity of 90%) location. Store fall potatoes at 50-60 degrees for 10-14 days, 3) transfer them to adark, cold (35-40 degrees) location. The curing followed by the cold storage should do the trick. Commercial produce managers do use a special treatment for holding potatoes longer but I don't think the product is available to home gardeners.