The Q&A Archives: Vegetable Gardening in Las Vegas

Question: The Spring and Fall months are moderate out here in Las Vegas. But the Summer months are brutally hot. When should I plant my vegetables and which vegetables likely to do well out here? Thank you D Murakami Las Vegas, NV

Answer: You can plant many of the same vegetables you would in a cooler climate, but the timing and variety selection is more important. Cool season crops such as broccoli, lettuce, spinach, peas and kale should be planted in March about 2 weeks before your last frost date (usually end of March in Las Vegas, but check the National Weather Service at the airport for the exact date). Warm season crops such as tomatoes, melons, cucumbers and peppers should be planted as transplants in early April to begin to mature before the summer heat sets in. Varieties such as 'Heatwave' tomato and California Wonder pepper should do well in your area. Contact your local County Extension office (702) 731-3130 for specific varieties suggested for your area..