The Q&A Archives: Mimosa tree

Question: Is a mimosa tree considered a nuisance tree and if so why? I have one and it's beautiful but only 3 or 4 years old. If I'm going to have trouble with it, I would like to know now before it gets any bigger. My mimosa tree is currently about 15 to 20 feet tall.

Answer: The mimosa tree, otherwise known as the Silk Tree (Albizia julibrissin), is a rapidly growing tree that can reach 40 feet tall with a 50-foot spread. That said, any mimosa tree can be pruned to keep it smaller (10-20 feet). The beauty of the mimosa tree is the pink plume-like flowers it bears in the summer, and the feathery foliage that folds up at night. A mimosa tree looks best when pruned back and allowed to develop multiple trunks. They can be messy, though, and that's where their reputation as a nuisance comes into play. If you plant your mimosa tree next to a patio or deck, you'll have to remove the litter of fallen leaves, flowers, and seed pods frequently. If the tree is planted in a lawn area, cleaning up is as easy as running the lawnmower beneath it. My vote is to keep your mimosa tree - its virtues far outweigh any problems that might occur with fallen leaves and flowers.