The Q&A Archives: Deer Fencing

Question: Using your search query i find different answers to the question, "what height should a fence be to keep deer out of my garden?" I am constructing a new garden and have had terrible trouble with deer and groundhogs in the old one. I will be using a backhoe to dig a three foot ditch at the base of my new fence to keep critters from digging underneath. am willing to build as high a fence as is needed to keep deer out and will be putting an electric strand at the top to keep raccoons, squirels, etc from climbing over. But: how high to keep deer from jumping?

Answer: Deer can leap over very high fences to get at a garden so you need one at least 8' high to keep them out. Some folks even put a bit of fencing flat on the ground around the perimeter under the theory that deer don't like walking on it, I suppose it is aggravating when they get their hooves in it.