The Q&A Archives: Lavender Companion

Question: My side yard is about 30 ft (long) x 17 ft (wide), with a gazebo on one end and a rose arbor on the other end linked by a path (4.5 ft wide X 30 ft long) which is in the center. I'm planning to plant Lavender Munstead along both sides of the path (about 60 ft), I'll still have about 4-5 ft of space on each side, behind the lavender. What would be good company for Lavender Munstead on this full sun path? Something that grows about 3-5 ft tall?

Answer: Sounds as though you're designing a spectacular garden. Lavender is an excellent choice for the sunny garden site, and suitable companions would include shrub or tree roses, Callistemon (Bottlebrush), Escallonia, Grevillea, or Fallugia paradoxa (Apache Plume). If you choose roses, you might consider hybrids that flower in complimentary colors to the lavender blooms. Try 'Brigadoon' or 'Bewitched' that bloom in pink, or the white flowering 'Garden Party' or 'Honor'. Enjoy your fragrant garden!