The Q&A Archives: Growing Bell Peppers and Chili Peppers

Question: I live in Southern Calif - I think zone 20. I have had a problem growing good peppers in the past - both bell peppers and chili peppers. They tend to be small and not the most tasty. I've been using a soil of part natural but well mixed over the years with peat moss and commerical soil amendment. I fertilize regularly with an all purpose vegetable fertilizer, and water well. Any suggestions? Also, what is a good soil mixture for eggplant and cucumbers?

Answer: Peppers like a soil that is well amended with organic matter without being too rich. It should be on the slightly acid side (pH of 5.5 to 6.5) Peppers are heavy feeders and require a well-balanced fertilizer with plenty of micro-nutrients. I'd suggest a soil test to determine your actual needs. Peppers like plenty of water when young, especially just after transplanting (any break in the watering pattern and peppers can become stunted). They like moderate watering when actively growing and before fruiting. As they began to ripen their fruits, cut back on watering considerably. Hot peppers, especially, develop best taste and heat when grown on the dry side before harvest. Eggplants and cucumbers will do well given similar conditions except for the extreme water cut off before harvest.