The Q&A Archives: Container Mini-Roses

Question: Do you have any care suggestions for miniature roses? Should it be misted ? Should I repot it? It's currently in a 4" container. Is my East-facing window sill too cold? Jane Knight Lake Forest, CA

Answer: It is challenging to grow miniature roses indoors. Place your rose on a window ledge where it will get sun for part of the day, but will not be subjected to intense heat. Temperatures should remain in the range of 60 - 70 degrees F. Your new plant will not require feeding right away, but after a month or so feed your rose regularly with a dilute solution of seaweed fertilizer or fish emulsion. If your tap water is hard--contains lots of dissolved minerals--you may start to see a build up of salts on the pot. If you do, you might consider watering with distilled water. Some growers place the pots in a shallow dish containing gravel that is kept constantly moist. This provides a constant source of humidity, without subjecting the roots to excess water. When your plant has finished flowering, it needs to "rest". Cut back on the fertilizer, though continue to water it as necessary, and move it to a spot where it gets a bit less sunlight. When you see growth begin again, move it back to itsusual spot, and resume feeding. Repot your rose into a larger container as it grows bigger. You can also consider placing it outdoors on a deck in the pot in summer and bringing it indoors each fall..