The Q&A Archives: Rose Pests

Question: This summer small green worms have been present in large numbers on the undersides of the leaves of my roses. They suck on them and the leaves die and fall off. What are these insects? Since they are on the underside of the leaf, how can I get rid of them?

Answer: The caterpillar-like worms are the larvae of beetles or moths, but there are so many kinds that feed on rose leaves, it's difficult to determine which one you have. Rather than trying to eliminate them with a chemical application, why not hand-pick them, or hose them off with a strong stream of water? Just turn the leaves over and direct the spray of water at the critters until they fall to the ground, then step on them to make sure they won't crawl back up onto your rose bush.