The Q&A Archives: Name of Tomato

Question: I am trying to find the name for a type of tomato plant. It is a strange type of tomato I think. The small grape sized tomatoes grow individually in thin pod cases.The fruit has a tangy taste. And the color is mostly yellow.
The thin green pod skin turns yellowish brown as the fruit ripens. I hope you know of the plant I am trying to describe. Thank you for your efforts.

Answer: I'd venture to guess you're looking for Solanum melanocerasum, the Ground Cherry. They're related to the husk tomato (tomatillo) and are so named because the cherry-sized berries drop to the ground when they're ripe. Ground cherries have the same papery husk as the tomatillo and a sweet and fruity flavored. Seeds are available from: Territorial Seed Company, P. O. Box 157, Cottage Grove, OR 97424-0061.