The Q&A Archives: Low Hedge Plants

Question: I am looking for a low growing hedge or shrub to create a border in an area on the side of my house. I have a walkway there and I want to put something on the edge of the walkway. Behind the hedges are hibiscus, lilacs, a small rose tree and a Japanese maple. Do you think it would look okay to border this area with hedges? I saw a honeysuckle hedge in one of my catalogs, what do you think of them?

Answer: Your garden sounds lovely and a hedge-lined walk sounds perfect. Rather than the honeysuckle, you might consider a slow growing, fine textured evergreen such as a small leafed holly or perhaps boxwood. An evergreen would provide some winter interest as well as a nice calm backdrop for you other plants.