The Q&A Archives: Discolored Azalea Leaves

Question: The leaves on all my azaleas are turning color. The new growth is healthy and green, but the older leaves are all turning a pinkish/brownish color. It started out with one or two plants, but now six plants are affected. I give them Hollytone in the spring and late fall. My soil is naturally somewhat acid. What could be causing this problem, and how can I treat it?

Answer: It sounds like you are taking good routine care of your azaleas. Unfortunately, based on your description it is impossible to give you a definite diagnosis of the problem. The cause might be a simple as drought stress, but it might easily be any one of a number of diseases which attack these plants. You might wish to take a sample to your County Extension for a positive identification of the problem and suggested controls. Their telephone number is 625-0056.