The Q&A Archives: Ambrosia Melons

Question: I have been growing your Ambrosia Cantalopes for years and this is the first year that I have had a problem.
The melons are full size but are not ripening. I have had one that did but the others are not, after being
on the vine, full sized for over two weeks. It is getting colder here now. Can I bring them indoors and have them ripen?

Answer: There's nothing quite as tasty as a vine-ripened melon, but you can pick your not-quite-ripe melons if you're concerned about frost. Melons pack up on sugar during their final days of growth, so those that you harvest and take indoors won't have that same sweetness - but they'll still be good. Next season, if the weather is cooler than normal, you can use black plastic mulch under the vines to increase soil warmth and make the melons ripen sooner.