The Q&A Archives: Fall Vegetable Gardening

Question: It's the beginning of fall and my family is going to plant a garden, and I need a science fair project. I need to know what vegetable I should plant and how I can experiment with it.

Answer: Fall vegetable gardens should include crops that grow best in cool-weather. These include cole crops (cabbage, broccoli, brussels sprouts), and root crops like beets, carrots, turnips and radishes. You can also grow lettuce, spinach and Swiss Chard in a fall garden. Depending upon the kind of Science Fair project you're going to try, you might plant seeds of quick-growing crops like radishes, lettuce or spinach. You can grow some with different kinds of fertilizers to see which one grows fastest. Good luck with your project.