The Q&A Archives: Building a Pond

Question: I need to know how to keep the water in a homemade pond. I am planing on stocking it whith fish and a few cat tails and maybe even put in a dead tree for the bass to hide in. The pond will be about 5 feet deep and about 20 feet in diameter.

Answer: Building a pond is a big venture, so I suggest you do some research before you begin digging. You have several options for lining a pond--some people use plastic, others use a layer of clay, etc. It all depends on your soil, where the water is coming from, where your water table is, etc. Here are two good books to look at:

Earth Ponds : The Country Pond Maker's Guide to Building, Maintenance and Restoration, by Tim Matson

The Pond Doctor: Planning and Maintaining a Healthy Water Garden, by Helen Nash

You might want to call in a professional landscaper with experience building ponds--at least for an initial consultation to get you started. I hope this helps.Good luck!