The Q&A Archives: Calylophus

Question: I brought a plant with the tag that had calylophus serrulatus written on it. It also said it was full sun and a ground cover. But it did not give the zone of hardiness or what kind of soil it likes or how much water. It is blooming beautiful now and I would like to keep it. I looked in all my books and my friend looked in hers and we could not find anything on it. Is it listed as something else to the common name.

Answer: Calylophus (botanical name Onagraceae) is an Evening Primrose, a perennial plant that grows 8-inches tall and about two-feet wide. It spreads by underground rhizomes. The foliage will die down in the winter and you can cut the stems back then. In the spring new stems and leaves will appear. Hope this information helps.