The Q&A Archives: Turnera Info

Question: I bought a plant about 3 feet tall with small off-white blooms and the name on the pot was TURNERA. I can't find any info on it. The nursery only knew it to be an annual that reseeds itself. Can you help with any more info?

Answer: Though there are about 60 species in the Turnera genus, only one is commonly cultivated: Turnera ulmifolia, also called sage rose.

In frost-free regions the plant grows permanently in flower beds; in cooler regions in can be planted outdoors after all danger of frost has past, then brought in in the fall and wintered indoors.

It's quite an unusual plant--I'm sure that's why you've had trouble finding information. I don't see any reference to it reseeding itself, so you might want to save some seeds for planting next year, just in case.