The Q&A Archives: Strange Jasmine

Question: I have a beautiful jasmine plant that was in flower when I bought it. After all the flowers died off, I have been noticing vigorous foliage growth. After a few weeks, the plant has been sending off long stem-like (almost creeping vine-like) "branches" with hardly any leaves on the shoots. The long stems are tender and just curl around themselves. There are just a couple of leaves on each one. I am not sure why this is happening or if this is normal. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Answer: The arching, willowy growth you describe is normal for Jasmine. You can pinch out the growing tips to make your plant shrubby, or leave it alone to grow into a sprawling, half-climbing shrub. After your plant has become established in the landscape and begins to look unkempt, you can prune it back hard after flowering to help renew the shape and keep it tidy.

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"