The Q&A Archives: Unseasonable Forsythia

Question: My forsythia has been blooming for the past few weeks and it's September! There are only a few dozen flowers, but I'm worried it won't bloom properly next spring. Should I worry or do anything special to it?
I bought it this spring just as it was finishing its blooming, planted it and it grew rapidly. The leaves on some of the branches are turning burgundy.

Answer: Sounds like your new forsythia is mildly confused. It should bloom in late winter and then produce leaves. The fact that it's blooming out of season can be chalked up to immaturity. The plant will settle down once it becomes established in its new home and has a chance to experience the changing of the seasons. Nothing needs to be done - just enjoy the blooms. The changing leaf color is normal for this time of year. The leaves will fall soon, and the branches will be bare during the winter months. In very late winter (or very early spring), flowers should appear, followed by new green leaves.