The Q&A Archives: Higher Elevation Gardening in California

Question: We are moving to Siskiyou Co. (Fort Jones) Calif. and I am dismayed to learn that we are in Sunset Mag's 'Zone 1' (i.e. really cold) although our elevation is only 2500 feet. Why would we get the same zone as Donner Summit? And what can I plantthere. The frost dates are last: June 15 and first: Sept. 15. I wanted to move to the country to garden and may only be able to grow tundra grass!

Answer: How fortunate you are indeed, to live in one of the few places in California where you can grow peonies, lilacs, Oriental poppies, Russell lupines, and a wealth of grand flora that we take forgranted here in the far north. Pick up a copy of Sunset'sWestern Garden Book or even start reading the many garden books writen for us Easterners and Northerners to find out just what a wealth of plants you can grow. You'll be without bananas and hibiscus but you'll have a thousand plants more than tundra grass (by the way, Blue Grass grows marvelously in Fort Jones, whereas it suffers in most of California). And 90 days is plenty of time to grow almost any vegetable.