The Q&A Archives: Holes in Hydrangea Leaves

Question: The leaves on my hydrangea bushes have developed holes; they are probably being eaten by bugs. What insecticide should I use to prevent this?

Since it is already mid fall and the leaves have pretty much done their job for the year, the holes should not cause any serious problems for the plants this year.  In my experience it is somewhat unusual to have an insect problem on hydrangeas, so for a positive identification of the cause and suggested controls, if any, you might wish to take a sample to your County Extension office. Their telephone number is: 431-7260.  In any case, to reduce chances of reinfestation next year, it would be a good idea to remove and destroy the spent leaves as they fall this autumn.  Good luck with your hydrangeas!