The Q&A Archives: Annually Tomatoes and Cucumbers Die

Question: Every year after my tomato plants produce fruit the leaves curl up and plants proceed to die, this also pertains to my cucumber plants. What is the problem and what is the remedy?

Answer: Based on your description it is impossible to give you an exact diagnosis of the problems, but there are several things you can do to try to minimize pest and disease problems. First, look for disease resistant varieties. Second, rotate your crops so that tomatoes (and their relatives such as egg plant and potatoes) do not grow in the same spot from year to year, cucumbers and their relatives (such as pumpkins) do not grow in the same spot from year to year, and so on. A three or even four year rotation is good. Finally, be very careful to clean up and remove and destroy all plant debris from diseased or infested plants. Do this during the growing season and in the fall after frost. This should help a lot towards reducing reinfection from year to year.