The Q&A Archives: Homemade Balsamic Vinegar

Question: I want to make balsamic vinegar at home, but I can't find the small wooden kegs to make it in. I need one with a top and bottom opening. The information I can find is mostly about making wine, not vinegar. I would appreciate any information you may have. Cathy Moyer Cincinnati, OH

Answer: I was not able to track down the specific wooden kegs you're looking for, but you might try contacting Richters Herb Catalog. They have a web site at; their telephone number is 1-905-640-6677. (They're located in Ontario, Canada.) Hopefully they will be able to direct you to a supplier. Also, they carry a book titled "Herbal Vinegar" by Maggie Oster -- the description in the catalog says the book contains a list of mail-order sources for barrels, bottles, etc..