The Q&A Archives: Japanese Fern Transplanting

Question: I have 3 Japanese ferns outside that have been there for 4 years. I will be moving within 3 months and would like to know if I can transplant my ferns to the new house. If transplanting is possible please let me know when I can dig them up. I could containerize them until spring if I can dig them up now.

Answer: Fall is a good time to plant and transplant ferns. Yours can make the transistion quite easily if you dig them now and put them in pots. Sink the pots down into the soil to help protect the roots from freezing weather during the winter months. When you're ready to move, plant the pots in the new garden. Then in the spring, when the soil warms, transplant your ferns directly into their new garden beds.