The Q&A Archives: Winter Care of Fuchsia

Question: How do I store and/or deal with my hanging Fuchsia plant?

Answer: Your fuchsia can be wintered over in one of two ways: Cut back the stems to the ends of the container and place the pot in a cool, but protected place like a garage. You shouldn't need to water until the stems produce new buds in the spring, unless the soil begins to dry out so much that it pulls away from the sides of the container. You don't want really moist soil, or the roots will rot, but you don't want it bone-dry either. Try misting the soil if it looks too dry. Or, cut the stems back and bury the pots in a protected area outdoors, like next to the foundation of your house where the overhanging eaves will keep much of the rainfall away. Dig the containers up in the spring and water as usual. You can take cuttings from the stems you remove, root them in water or potting soil, and keep them going in a greenhouse, or in a cool, bright room indoors.