The Q&A Archives: Wisteria Seed Pods

Question: My wisteria vine has formed velvety pods with what look like variegated lima beans inside (about 4 or 5 per pod)
Can I save these and start new plants? Should I let them dry on the vine or pick them? Should I shell them or let them dry in the pods completely?

Answer: Ripe wisteria seeds will germinate without any special pretreatment; collect them when the pods begin to crack open. Shell them and plant next spring. If they seem very dry and hard, soak them in water for about 24 hours before planting. Having said that, you might not want to bother with them -- wisteria grows in a juvenile stage for up to 15 years or so before it blooms, and seedling vines will most likely not have blooms as attractive as those on the parent vine. For these reasons most wisteria vines are propagated by cutting, layering or grafting rather than by seeds.