The Q&A Archives: Growing Avocado

Question: I live on Whidbey Island in Washington State. I started 4 avocado's from their big seeds and they are doing very well. (They're about 12 inches tall now). My question is they have been out on my deck but with the colder weather coming, should I bring the plants inside for the winter, or are they ok to be outside through the winter? They are doing so well, I hate to do something that will harm them.

Answer: Avocado's are from Mexico and Guatemala, but they grow well in the warm winter areas of Southern California. Established trees are hardy to about 24F degrees. Your little trees won't survive the winter outdoors on Whidbey Island. Bring them indoors for the winter and put them in a bright spot. Take them outdoors again in the spring. In a few years, when the trees mature a little more, you can try planting them outdoors in a protected area. If they have a chance to grow and become established, they might live through an occasional harsh Pacific Northwest winter.