The Q&A Archives: Fragrant Cut Flowers

Question: This is a "different" type of question. I am writing a novel and one of the characters sends cut flowers to someone that he wants to impress -- it's February in New England and I thought he'd send her camelias -- flown in from "somewhere." I wrote that the scent of the camellias was very strong, etc. etc. Now I've been told that camelias don't have any scent! Being a New England flower gardener, I didn't know that! Could you suggest a flower you would order through a florist (not roses or orchids -- too mundane for this guy!) that have terrific scent and would really impress a woman whom he's unintentionally hurt terribly. I'd really appreciate any thoughts.

Answer: What an interesting scene. I'd like to know the rest of the plot! There are some fantastically fragrant flowers that bloom in February, such as Daphne and early spring bulbs like Daffodil, Hyacinth and Crocus, and many more that might be forced to bloom in a greenhouse. Consider 'Stargazer' Lilies, Lily-of-the-Valley, Freesia, Heliotrope, Lemon Daylily, Sweet Violets, White Ginger Lily, or Madagascar Jasmine as flowers for your heroine. Good luck with your novel!