The Q&A Archives: Indoor Low-Light Plants

Question: I live in an apartment with very little sunlight. I chose five packets of seeds from your catalog and would like to know if I made the right choices. I choose African orchids, impatiens, rose parade hybrid impatiens, and double hybrid rosette mix to hang in containers in my bedroom which receives some sun. I selected Dolichos lablab and salvia sea breeze for the fire escape which receives sunlight. I'd like some green plants for the living room which receives no sunlight at all. Do you have any suggestions? Also do you have any suggestions on green and flowering plants that grow in sunless humid places like the bathroom? I looking forward to hearing from you. Corrine Jackson New York, NY

Answer: You made good selections for your apartment. The only one that may be a little difficult to grow is Dolichos lablab. It is sometimes finicky about germinating and likes heat. As far as inside goes, without direct light you'll have to grow houseplant material such as philodendrons and ficus. Even in the bathroom, it would be hard to grow flowering plants with some direct light. Boston ferns are best in that location..